Jorn Winther is an award-winning producer/director/writer with more than five decades of experience collaborating with the world’s most distinguished talent. Mr. Winther’s breadth of work includes MOW, drama, variety, comedy, specials, news, sports, documentaries, videos, game shows and commercials. Among his career highlights, Mr. Winther mounted iconic news program 20/20, produced and directed the Reunion of The Beatles, The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour, and the original Frost/Nixon tapes,. “Nixon,,” for which he was recently interviewed by Larry King. Mr. Winther’s experience involves every facet of the news production and entertainment process. He has created and sold programs, written and edited dramatic scripts, created story lines, headed story meetings with writers and has been creatively responsible for the final product. He is one of the few directors in U.S. whose theatrical background enables him to communicate with actors; his people skills are demonstrated by the variety of entertainers and celebrities he has directed. This website also demonstrates his sought after acting/director workshop sessions. As a producer/director, he has been responsible for more than 1,000 hours of prime time television, more than 300 dramatic hours in daytime television, and numerous stage plays.
His shows have collected 37 Emmy nominations and won 12. He is also co-founder of the successful creative script service, Script Daddy. The company is dedicated to finding excellent scripts to evaluate, develop and sell.
Currently, he is the president of his own producing entity, which concentrates on independent films having just completed the feature, “Shakespeare’s Cat.”. Another film, “Without Warning,” is in preproduction. Other films include Takoda, and a Short Straw are in the funding process.
I grew up in Aalborg Denmark a city with 100,000 fairly crazy people. My mother had been a ballerina at the Royal Theater in Copenhagen; my dad, a very funny man, made pretty good money running his own oil import business and I wanted to be an actor in Hollywood. Everyone thought I was nuts but my sister Aase, a very beautiful smart girl, supported me and gave me confidence. My heroes were Shirley Temple, Louis Armstrong and John Wayne. As fate will have it I ended up directing them including Louis Armstrong’s last concert from Hollywood Palace.
I graduated from Royal Academy in Copenhagen, immigrated to Canada with $50 and a sparkling new bicycle which I sold in Halifax for $20 and bought a 38 Ford. The car drove really well for approximately – 1 mile before it stalled permanently. I left it, and for all I know it might still be standing there. Made it across Canada selling Sewing Machines, Bibles, Fuller Brush, Carpets, and my best job was driving a Laundry Truck. Because I established a drama school in Victoria, British Columbia the Mayor Percy George and the city of Victoria awarded me with a scholarship to Stanford University, in Palo Alto, California.
I graduated from Stanford University (TV and Drama) and landed in LA to pursue my dream of becoming an actor and discovered ‘that most people spoke English.’ However since I had this heavy old Gaelic accent and move my hands and arms a lot, the Hollywood Agents thought I was creative and made me a Producer/Director. In this capacity I have produced and directed over 1000 hours of prime time television including – MOW and features.
Resume (SAMPLING OF WORK)
– 20/20, Mounted, Produced and Directed, ABC
– NIXON/FROST INTERVIEWS, Worldwide (4 Hours) (Director)
Documentaries and Docu-dramas:
– REUNION OF THE BEATLES, ABC
– NEW RUSSIA (with Walter Cronkite), CBS
– AGAINST HER WILL (with Kelly McGillis), Lifetime
– MARILYN MONROE REMEMBERED, ABC
1,000 HOURS OF PRIME TIME TELEVISION US (CBS, ABC, NBC)
Mr. Winther created, wrote, mounted and sold the drama series “Family Passisons” and “Liaisons”.
FAMILY PASSIONS – Executive Producer/Director (2 years) Co-Production between Germany and Canada, broadcast in 98 countries.
LIAISONS – Developed in Poland, International TV series.
- IN CONCERT, ABC
- SHINDIG, ABC
- JONATHAN WINTERS SERIES, CBS
- SINATRA, NBC
- SONNY AND CHER, CBS
- GOLDIE HAWN SPECIAL, NBC
- CANDID CAMERA
- LOUIS ARMSTRONG SPECIALS 1 & 2, ABC
- ZERO MOSTEL SPECIAL, ABC
- KRAFT MUSIC HALL (with Richard Pryor & George Carlin)
- California Jam 1 & 2 with Deep Purple, Emerson, Lane & Palmer, The Eagles, Beach Boys, Fleetwood Mac, Aerosmith, etc.
(Each event had 14 cameras & over 200,000 fans)
- 1978 Canada Jam (100,000 fans) with Doobie Brothers, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Village People, Kansas, Commodores, etc.
- Other individual bands such as: The Beatles, Kiss, The Who, Hearts & Ted Nugent, etc.
- GENERATIONS, NBC, Mounted, Executive Producer/Director (2 years)
- ALL MY CHILDREN, NBC, Sr. Excutive Producer/Director (2 years)
- ONE LIFE TO LIVE, ABC, Executive Producer/Director (5.5 years)
- ANOTHER WORLD, ABC, Director (2 episodes per week)
- RITUALS, NBC, Director (1 episode per week)
- SANTA BARBARA, NBC, Director (2 episodes per week)